Monday, November 5, 2007

{ Featured Artist - MLou is Pink }






{ About the Artist }

I am Stephanie Guittard Scigliano from Michigan. I design and make altered books and other altered art under the name MLou Is Pink, especially for http://www.mlouispink.etsy.com/ . I also sell vintage ephemera, vintage gumball charms, and other unique goodies for other creative souls.

I like to use bright colors and fun textures, as well as quotes from strong inspirational women. I also use them in tags as well, with quotes about family, friendship, birthdays, and more. I have always loved books, and I thought I'd be a writer, but now I get to make the whole book!

I was inspired to make the quote books with a baby theme because it seemed that all of the baby things were pastel with sappy sayings. I thought I'd let the new moms have some humor and truth, along with funny vintage pictures. Fibers and other embellishments finish the books and tags.

I also love to collage using vintage ephemera and other beautiful papers. Right now I am making collaged magnet boards with embellished Barbie accessories on the magnets, as long as my daughter doesn't snatch of all them!

I used to have a brick and mortar store (called MLou Millinery of course) where I made hats, and that was a lot of fun. I closed my doors waiting for baby number 2, which was the right decision for me. I was a milliner (hat maker) for years, which I learned from my great-aunt Ruth, who was a costume designer. I was lucky enough to be able to do a few trunk shows at Henri Bendel's in NYC with my hats, too.

I find that creating is very stress-relieving and a great way to be good to myself. My challenge to myself going forward is to get my other on-line store up and running (of course along with keeping up with my Etsy store!) and actually get around to listing all the vintage ephemera and other vintage treasures filling my house so others can be creative with them, too. Plus, then I can go to more estate sales...

Have a happy & creative day.

{ Shop Details }

Stephanie's work is a colorful and fun Vintage adventure! She uses so many different pieces to tell a story of whimsy in her retro creations. Her Etsy store is loaded with some amazing vintage ephemera that I would love to get my hands on too :) Please visit Stephanie's ETSY shop, website and blog below! I am sure she will have something to fill you retro~vintage fancies...
Warmest Regards,
Amy :)